Saturday, January 8, 2011

The 7 day itch

 
Should you always give in to the itch?
 It’s official. The first week of 2011 has passed by.


It’s so fast that couldn’t believe I’m saying this right now. Is it time to assess my progress this year? It would be premature, but because I can, I will.  [Insert Evil laugh]

No but seriously, a week’s time is not enough to make something like ‘reading a book’ a hardcore habit- most likely if what you have as a starter is a vintage baby that smells exactly the way it looks. 


This book was worth £0.67 back in 1974 and I bought it for $1 three decades after. I would have wanted to read a non-fiction book that written within the last 5 years but I was already aching to read asap therefore I made the most convenient choice. 

‘The One’, as I would like to call this chosen book-of-the-month, has been sitting right beside my bed and piling up dust these past few months. Guilty as charged, I gave it a chance and picked it up with a just flicker of interest. 


To be honest, I am not really into fiction books but since this book has become one of my favourite movies of all time, hence there is no need for hard selling.

Few days have gone and I am still stuck at the prologue. Wow- that’s new I suppose. Usually, I will read as many pages as I could on the first sitting so I could trick my mind to cooperate. Therefore reading the rest of the chapters in the forthcoming days would be easy breezy.  


As an occasional book reader, it’s no surprise that the root of my falling-in-and-out-of-love with reading is  because of my little attention span.


In order for me to bring forth that passion I try to immerse myself in several pages, find something interesting about it to hang onto, that I may have an assurance that it is worth my time and I wouldn't just quit the next day. 


Nevertheless, I am doing the exact opposite. I don’t know if I should feel good knowing that  my start has been a bit sluggish. Probably this means that I really enjoyed what I read, so I am taking my time while I linger on this feeling of awe caused by my new found literary adventure.


It’s not so hard to figure out where this guilt is coming from. The control freakishness in me wants to scratch the itch so bad.

Giving in would give an instant sooth but it would be for all the wrong reasons. I choose to love slowly but surely. I want a relationship with J.R.R Tolkien, not just a love affair.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment